Sunday, August 23, 2009

Facebook Movie Officially Greenlit


The blog End Of Show is reporting that The Social Experiment, written by Aaron Sorkin, is officially a Go picture. You may remember from my review of the script how much I liked it (it now stands as #10 on my Top 25). Because, up until that point, the idea of a Facebook movie was getting a lot of negative buzz, the review alleviated a lot of fears. Less than a week later, Sorkin signed on to rewrite Sony's "Moneyball" (script review here), and most of that negative buzz went the way of the dodo bird.

But don't be fooled. This is still a big gamble. I can't remember the last time somebody made a serious pop-culture movie so soon after real life events. Usually these stories go straight to basic cable or network TV. This has gotta be nerve-wracking for Sony as we all watched the "cool factor" of Myspace go from 60 to 0 in about 8 days. They should probably simultaneously shoot a movie about Twitter to cover their asses. Or should Twitter be the sequel? Regardless, it is a great script. I was riveted for 160 pages. It's hard to rivet me for 10 pages. I'm not easy to rivet. The only issue I see with the film is that it's not very cinematic. I guess that's why they brought in Fincher. Man, I really hope this movie does well. Cause if it doesn't, I'm sure some people are going to point the finger at me. "You're the one who thought it was good!" Hmm, I wonder if I can be fired at Sony if I don't work there. :)